It’s Thursday again, and you know what that means – One Room Challenge (ORC) update time! Chris and I have been hard at work almost every night (our normal remodel working hours are after the kids go to sleep from about 8-11pm) and this week we’ve gotten a lot done. I have to admit though, I feel like this stage of the project always feels like the progress is really slow (even though there’s lots of progress) because none of the progress is pretty… I mean, woo-hoo, we have all the sheet rock patched up. It’s still ugly and unpainted! But, I really think this next week will be a turning point for the “feel” of the room. We’re just about done putting everything back together and the pretty stuff will start going in and changing it up quick.
To catch up on the project, be sure to read our previous two posts.
Before we get to the not-so-pretty progress shots, let’s take a minute to quickly remind ourselves of this room’s future:
White shiplap, black and white tile floors, open wood shelving… dreamy…
Ok, back to reality! 😉
Chris’ first task this past week was installing the in-wall faucet plumbing. In order to get its placement, we brought the vanity in, cut the legs down to the right height and traced its silhouette on the wall.
We decided rather than moving the shut-off valves for the faucet we’d just run the hoses straight through the drywall and into the faucet. Since the vanity will be flush with the wall, you’ll never see any of it, so why not make it easy! BTW – isn’t that faucet beautiful?! 😉
After the faucet was secured and finished, Chris built the wall next to the toilet for our open shelving unit and I moved on to sheet rock patching.
I’m hoping the open shelving unit turn outs as great as this one from Chris loves Julia:
Good news – we are officially mold-free! We removed and replaced all the moldy sheet rock and now all the walls are patched and ready for shiplap.
I still have one final coat of texture to do on the ceiling patches, but that will be easy.
In addition to the drywall work, I got some spray painting done and started working on restoring the mirror.
My plan all along was to paint the mirror black, but as the room is starting to come together and I thought through its placement on the white shiplap, above the green vanity and between the black pendant lights, I realized I’d much rather have it be a nice wood finish. (Most of my Instagram followers agreed!) So, I’ve taken to sanding the entire thing down to raw wood and re-staining/sealing it to match our shelves. I think it’s going to look fabulous! Did I mention I got this mirror at a garage sale for just $1??
Chris’ most recent endeavor has been prepping the floor for me to paint it with our fancy stencil. 😉 When we removed the vanity and partial wall there were sections of tile missing, so Chris cut out all the partial tiles and replaced with new full ones.
Since we’re painting the floor, we weren’t worried about the tiles matching exactly, so we decided to use some random extra tiles we had in the garage! I mean, why not? 😉
The last little bit of progress we saw this week was painting the window black. The paint color I’m using is Sherwin-Williams Iron Ore, because a lot of the decor bloggers I follow rave about it. We’ll see if it’s as fabulous as they make it out to be! I plan to use it to paint the interior bathroom door as well.
I had fun buying a few decor items for the room this week too! I found some perfect sized sea-grass baskets at TJ Maxx for the open shelves, a few greenery items, a cute sign and a fancy soap dispenser. I can’t wait to decorate in there! It’s going to be so pretty!
The last week and a half have been a whirlwind of demo and rebuilding and now it’s time to “prettify” the room. 🙂
On our docket for this week is finishing up the ceiling patches, installing the pendant lights and finalizing the electrical, installing window and door trim, installing and painting shiplap, and painting the ceiling. By this time next week, it will look like a whole new room!!
Have a great week. 🙂
You will also love: